Monday, January 25, 2010

Letters from Bob

It was suggested by one of Mr. Ziegelbauer's supporters on the htrnews.com blogs that I ask him directly about the controversy surrounding his dual office holder status and related attendance issue.  So... I did!

Below is a full record of our correspondence which I will ad to if further exchanges occur on the topic.

Original request sent Monday, Jan 25, 9:13 AM

An open letter to Mr. Robert Ziegelbauer, Manitowoc County Executive & Assemblyman:

Much has been made of your holding two positions and perhaps not spending an adequate amound of time on either.

It has been suggested on the HTR blogs by one of your supporters that I should ask you directly.  So, I am.

Please provide a detailed accounting of your time both at County and the Assembly.
You may respond either directly or by publishing the data in the HTR or one of your websites as long as I or the general public is made aware of it.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely

Bernard J. (Bernie) Starzewski
Manitowoc


 Response received Monday Jan 25, 9:40 AM

Mr. Starzewski,

I am happy to reply.

I do not punch a clock but am here at the Courthouse typically around 7:30 in the morning (it opens at 8:30) and throughout the day.
You may recall that one of the candidates for this office did an open records request 2 years on all my computer use over a period of weeks.  That might be a way for you to verify this.

My attendance at the Capitol is extremely good which you can check with the Assembly Chief Clerk at your convenience.
The State Legislature is a part time job although I make virtually every meeting of every committee I am a member of in addition to when the full Legislative body meets.

The technology which we all enjoy, allows me to easily monitor my work email from my three principal offices ( Courthouse, Capitol, and home office) in order  to stay in touch as needed without regard to where I am physically not only on workdays but after hours and throughout the weekends (which is my normal practice). That's why I am able to consistently be responsive to everyone, including you, and have an excellent track record of accessibility, and reply.

This has never been a problem. I am single and have always had at least 2 jobs back to the early 80's without any complaint or problem.
Rarely if ever do I hear a complaint about me not putting enough time and energy into the task at hand.

You are the only one I know of trying to make an issue of this.
Generally these criticisms are from those (like you) who really have ideological complaints with me and would actually prefer that I did not serve in either role. In my view that would be a more honest approach. It's a free country. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

 
As always, call on me anytime I can be of assistance to you.

Bob Ziegelbauer

Bob Ziegelbauer
Manitowoc County Courthouse
1010 S. 8th St.
Manitowoc, WI  54220

920-683-5107 (office)
920-323-7497 (cell)




From:
Bernard Starzewski
To:
bobziegelbauer@co.manitowoc.wi.us
Date:
01/25/2010 09:13 AM
Subject:
attendance records request


Re:Re: sent Mon. Jan 25 10:03 AM

Thank you for your prompt response.
However, the current issue at hand is your work schedule at County which is the only thing relevant to the currently pending election and is not available thru the Assembly Chief Clerk.  While I suppose one could take that attendance record and subtract it from your attendance at County it would simpler and more transparent if you could simply make the information you already have available to the public.

Certainly, you have your own records including your mileage logs for reimbursement from the State?

You mentioned my ideology. It is true enough that we are polar opposites in that respect.  However, work attendance is not an issue of the right or the left.  It would seem that you have an opportunity to lay the record out and let the public decide for themselves.  Making people fish for the data gives the appearance that you have something to hide.

Bernie

Re:Re:Re sent Mon. Jan 25 12:26 PM

Sir,

The attendance records are created and kept by the Chief Clerk of the Assembly.
I do not keep them.  You may request them from him at your convenience.
My automobile mileage reimbursements are similarly records kept by and available from the Assembly Chief Clerk. However since not all travel to and from the Capitol is reimbursed mathematical iteration of that data would lead you toward incorrect assumptions.

My previous response to you tells the story. I get the work done. It's never been a problem.
In the past 4  years. the only time it has ever even been raised was by the spouse of a legislative candidate three and a half years ago and the associate of a county exec candidate today.

As for interpretation of the records by you, I've seen some of your other work and do not have high expectations for objectivity.

Thanks

Bob Z



Bob Ziegelbauer
Manitowoc County Courthouse
1010 S. 8th St.
Manitowoc, WI  54220

920-683-5107 (office)
920-323-7497 (cell)




From:
Bernard Starzewski
To:
Bob Ziegelbauer <BobZiegelbauer@co.manitowoc.wi.us>
Cc:
cmathews@htrnews.com, cmathews@manitowoc.gannett.com
Date:
01/25/2010 10:03 AM
Subject:
Re: attendance records request

Re:Re:Re sent Mon. Jan 25 12:42 PM

 
Bob, (If I may call you that)

Once again you have evaded the primary question.
What has been your attendance record at County?
Does Ms. Cornils not keep employee attendance records?

The records at State will not include sick, personal and vacation days (if any) from your local job.

Since you have made the same assertions about the County Coroner who also has a second job it mystifies why you feel that you should not be subjected to similar criticisms from your opponents.  But perhaps not.

Be that as it may we will take your advice and make the proper request mapping it to your time at the Court House.  At that time you can respond to any perceived lack of objectivity.

The personal attacks on myself by you and your supporters are well documented and are as usual, nothing more than a diversion.

Bernie

Re:Re:Re sent Mon. Jan 25 12:52 PM
Sir,

I have not made any assertions at all about the Coroner of any sort and certainly no personal attacks on you.

My understanding is that Manitowoc County does not keep attendance records of the elected officials.
I do not keep any, and do not have any sick leave,vacation days, or personal days here.

It would be fair to assume that any days that I am not in Madison working, I am here working; and that because of the productivity of all of our modern technology I am able to be in contact with both offices constantly as needed to do my job virtually 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

I think we've covered this.
Thanks

 
Bob Ziegelbauer
Manitowoc County Courthouse
1010 S. 8th St.
Manitowoc, WI  54220

920-683-5107 (office)
920-323-7497 (cell)




From:
Bernard Starzewski
To:
Bob Ziegelbauer <BobZiegelbauer@co.manitowoc.wi.us>
Cc:
cmathews@manitowoc.gannett.com, cmathews@htrnews.com
Date:
01/25/2010 12:42 PM
Subject:
Re: attendance records request

2 comments:

  1. Dude maybe you are attacking the man and should be attacking the system that alows the sham.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What system do we have other than elected representation? We used to have a professional manager system with that manager hired by the County Board. It was Bob himself who worked to end that after he applied for the job and got rejected for lack of experience...

    Other than that County has a typical corporate structure with top managers and lower level department managers not unlike any private company you can point to.

    Just exactly how would you alter "the system" to keep pols like Bob in check?

    ReplyDelete